So, if I am correct in understanding, you already have a table filled with generalizations? And you would like those to have attribute ¾ as well? What I think I see here is that there might be some confusion between database practise and the domain here. Yes, in the background, when creating a Specialisation_B, an object will also appear in the table for A, if I remember correctly. The implication for Mendix is quite different however.
Very concretely: any instantiated object Generalization_A can never have attribute3 or 4 (if you create A in a Microflow, you will never see attributes 3/4); this is due to the nature of the Entity, which defines it should only have ½. In other words, there is no way to convert an Object A to an Object B. In order to achieve this, you will have to copy Object A into a newly created Object B, and delete the old source. You can do this using a Conversion microflow. It should do roughly the following things:
That should give you the option to start extending your data.
Hope this helps. If it does, please mark as correct ;-)
No, not in a Mendix way to my knowledge. But thinking about this, brings up this idea: Make a Java call do that for you. Make it create the Specialization_B, modify that object’s attribute to point to Generalization_A by setting Specialization_B’s id to that of Generalization_A .
NB. this is a very good way to corrupt your database, so you might want to add a test or two.
Since this is great fun to do, I gave this a go. The setup:
The Subjects have an association to Teacher 1 or 2.
After creation of the SpecialSubject, it (actually: the new Subject) has no association to any Teacher, because I did not select one.
Now the idea is to:
First try this manually….
UPDATE public."test$specialsubject" SET id=64176294690029569 WHERE id=116530640358211685; UPDATE public."test$subject" SET submetaobjectname='test.SpecialSubject' WHERE id=64176294690029569; DELETE FROM public."test$subject" WHERE id=116530640358211685;
Works like a charm. What a lovely way to spend my friday afternoon :-)
But, but, but. Although my application is running fine, it is likely to have some undesired side-effects because the ids are no longer sequential in entity SpecialSubject. New SpecialSubject-objects will get an id starting with 116… So i would not persue that path. Better would be to change step 1 to
Watch out, table locking issues ahead… Anyways, here ends my pondering. Back to the garden I go.
An alternative approach would be to avoid using specialisation (since you already have instances that you say would be impractical to change) and simple create a new 1-1 association to the “specialisation” entity. You have two objects instead of one to manage, but you have a lot of migration flexibility.