Before updating, I look into the release notes to see if I need to remove Java libraries (like Email connector module)
Then I preventively update Mendix SSO (this is a known trouble maker, and security wise, good to have on the latest version anyway). I bet this one will solve already your problem.
Prior to updating the modules, I update the Widgets. Then I first update the modules without dependencies. After that, I update the modules they are depending on, with the most used, the last. Alter that I update the Mendix "core" ones like Administration, Atlas, and Data Widgets, etcetera.
It is not an official list, but it helps.
In the error, it usually gives a hint of what Java lib is causing the issue.
Go Make It