How to compare the contents of a plain appstore module with the version in my app

Why do we have to bump our nose before we listen to good advice? Anyway. Today I ran into a typical beginners error for which of course we had been warned.  Changes we made in the send-email microflow were overwritten by installing a new version of the emailtemplate module. We've solved the issue and in this case we know what we had changed. My question is what would be a pragmatic way to find out the difference between the plain module and the modified version? After replacing the appstore module, the version history just shows that the module and its elements have been deleted and new versions of it have been added.... (I know how to avoid the situation in future, that's not the question.)   (Edit 6-6-2018)  I know how to avoid it for new situations. However I just want to check our previous work.... One solutions is going through the history. But how can i find all the changes related to e.g. "forgotpassword" without going through all the revisions one by one?
asked
3 answers

If you commit the AppStore module immediately after downloading it, you can easily use the Show History option on such a module (right click on module --> show history). You can now see which microflows have been changed. This enables you to export these microflow to import them again when you have updated the module. Any domain model changes will be still be lost though.

answered

You could copy the microflow to your own module, and change that one, in that case, when you download a newer version, it won't get overwritten.

Usually modules have a DOCS / README / USEme folder, with a version in it. You could compare that to the latest appstore version, however, not every module updates the version number in the module...

answered

I am working on a similar problem,  I noticed how some associations were completly gone after updating the email module. To compare old versus new I just moved the old DM Entities (and some pages) to a newly created TEMP module. This way I maintain the previous changes and data. I guess you could try if this helps you as well. 

In addition you could create an export of your old module before updating. 

Edit: note that I intend to copy the entities back from TEMP back to the updated Email module in my case to maintain previous associations, otherwise this would not be best practice. 

answered