How can I use a variable of type Binary in a microflow?

I have a web service call which results in a "Binary" variable (I can't change the type). I would like to feed it into a custom Java action but the type is not listed. How can I use or convert this type?
asked
4 answers

The thing Chris mentions works. Did it before.

1. Feed the object with the binary attribute to the Java action;
  2. In the Java action, access the IMendixObject of your object;
  3. Via the IMendixObject, iterate over all members (attributes);
  4. Check with something like below whether the member is a binary and cast to get access to the binary:
// check if attribute is a binary attribute
 if( member instanceof com.mendix.core.objectmanagement.member.MendixBinary ) {

MendixBinary binMember = (MendixBinary) member;

logNode.info("binary member name:" + binMember.getName());
 }

After this, do with the binary attribute what you want to do in the Java action.

answered

You can try storing the binary in a String in your import mapping. That should be accessible.

answered

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your answers and sorry for not replying sooner.

I am still none the wiser how to do this. What I have so far is as follows:

In my microflow, I have a "Call web service" action.

In the "SOAP Response" tab, the only thing I can change is "Store in variable" between "Yes" and "No". Both options tell me I do not need to use an import mapping, which means that the only output I can get from the action is a "Binary" variable or nothing at all.

Just to clarify, the Mendix SOAP action returns a Binary variable, not an object containing a binary.

There is no action as far as I can tell that accepts a "Binary" variable as an input. I have tried creating an entity with a "Binary" attribute, but when I create a new instance of that entity, I cannot select that attribute to assign anything to.

If I create a new Java action, I cannot set "Binary" as the type of any parameter.

If I could get the actual XML response, I could then do something with it, but apparently it has been helpfully converted for me into something completely unusable.

answered

OK, so I have given up on the "Call web service" action and am now using "Call REST" and will just have to re-implement the SOAP parts manually. Any thoughts on how to avoid this would be good.

answered