Mousepad, a large mug for coffee, eardops, cap, hoody, big whiteboard, good coffee, cool water and some mx sunglasses ;)
Well, not as cool and fun maybe, but what about a digital guide and a video with all the links and life instructions you need as a developer. So NOT a commercial-like video, but a really useful one (from a developers point of view that is) to have a quick start. My experience is that when you first start with Mendix, there is already a lot of data on the Mendix platform and on the web, but it takes still a lot of time to end up with all the tools and information you really need to be able to speed things up, especially in the first three or so months.
And if you hand it out with a Mendix-blue tablet (OK, some costs involved here) it is cool and fun after all, and I guess it would be very appriciated.
Links f.i. to:
- tools to help you with developing (SOAPUI, XMLSpy, pgAdmin, Eclipse, Koala, Brackets, RegEx, JSFiddle,...) with an advise which version to be used, depanding of the modeler version that is(!), and an advise on how and also when(!) to use those tools, including a short manual and life instructions to be able to use them quickly.
- FAQ, Documentation, Mendix forum, links to Java-communities, etc
- other: like css-courses (w3Schools.com f.i.), with most commonly used examples(!), how to's, etc.
- Tips and Tricks Top100
- Set of guidelines (how to structure your css or scss stylesheets, naming conventions, ...)
I do not know the budget but something like this would be handy with a nice Mendix logo on it: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/483539/dell-usb-c-naar-hdmi-vga-1gbps-netwerk-usb-30-(da200).html
Mendix as the hub for connecting thihgs (connecting IT with the business, between different IT systems and with this gadget my laptop with an external monitor / keyboard etc).
How about something more IOT related like a small light or fan that you can turn off or on or a thermometer that you can query.
I agree with the notebook (maybe add a fancy Mendix pen)
- Whiteboard markers
- Scrum poker cards
Fancy pen & notebook - definitely good coffee...
As it hasn't been mentioned yet, stickers.
Not just a Mendix logo, but something creative and different as well. Take a look at the octocat stickers Github sends out.
I love the coffee mug idea Pim suggested! Some other useful things might be:
- USB stick
- Perhaps a little book with fun anecdotes, tips, etc regarding Mendix/developing
- A free app review (or tips on how to improve the app)
Obviously everything should be in a Mendix theme.
Any additional thoughts from the community? Any and all ideas are extremely helpful! I really appreciate the response so far.
-- Mike Puglielli
microsoft Surface 4 ?
How about a Mendix - themed (maybe Silver Linings) shoulder bag for the swag?
I've got a few 'non-standard' ideas, so I'll explain a bit about why I think each one is a good idea:
On a final note - I just voted for Wim's idea - which I think is a great one!