“I want to have the ownership of this association at B without leaving the * to 1 structure.” That is not possible in Mendix because of the way Mendix uses the ownership when creating a “reference selector” and a “reference set selector”. If you want to get a better feel on when, how, what these references result in:
- add Entity C having *-* to entity B
- rightclick an entity and “Generate overview pages” for the three of them.
- on A_NewEdit you can choose one B
- on C_NewEdit you can choose multiple Bs
- on B_NewEdit you can choose multiple Cs, but no As and that is where Mendix falls short. It would be nice and useful to also be able to select As. The reason is that B, when selecting As, cannot see which As are already connected to another B.
I you picture a 1 to many association as a Parent (1) to her Children (M), the child has only one parent (i.e. owns the association), but the parent can have many children and so cannot own the relationship(s) to children.
Put in Mendix terms, if you picture a page with a dataview and a reference selector in that dataview (for a 1 to many relationship):