Remove the autocommit feature - Mendix Forum

Remove the autocommit feature

Mendix has as complex feature called autocommit, which leads to many misunderstandings, unwanted behaviour and hard to resolve error messages.

My suggestion is to remove this feature:

1. If your data is incomplete due to the fact that some objects are not committed you will soon notice.
  2. The committing of objects is completely clear and transparent: you are responsible.
  3. Some issues with autocommit are so complex that they are on the known issues list for a long time.
asked
13 answers

I would say if the auto commit happens, there should be a warning message say which objects are committed automatically.

Created

Any news on this. I just had some annoying issues with autocommit that require dirty workaraounds as long as this autocommit feature exists.

Created

Any update on this matter? It would be really nice if autocommit is gone!

Created

I agree on the fact that the autocommit feature is kind of complex. As 'not in the short term’ is not really a specific time, would it be an option to in the meanwhile extend the warnings in the log with more information? (Like in my case, the log doesn't provide me enough information: https://forum.mendix.com/link/questions/94673 )

Created

@Bert: Apparently at least a year **Edited** two years **Edited again** three years **end of Edit**. But it is “PLANNED”, so let's not lose hope.

Created

Andrej wrote: ‘We are looking into alternatives, but not in the short term.’

Wat is long term in Mendix defintion? 

Created

Is there any update on this? This feature is making things unnecessarily difficult for us. Especially because most of the time, you don’t realize you have auto-committed objects until session end. Then you’re left with the mystery of the disappearing objects.

Created

Yes, if you remove this, legacy projects must have the ability to retain the old setting.

Created

Could someone explain to me why it is a good idear to remove the objects after the user has logged out? I never understood that part. It is obviously a developer mistake so I like the feature that the system helps me and commits the objects. But why remove them after the user has logged out? Why is that part necesarry?

Created

I also think this is a good idea and also taking into account the 'projects' as Mike mentioned.

Created

It would make Mendix a better software platform if autocommit is gone. Also it would bring Mendix' definition of a 'transaction' closer to the better definition of a transaction, as used by the rest of world.

Also the KISS principle supports this idea.

Created

I totally agree with this idea!

Created

I agree with this idea - however, I think if Autocommit is removed, it should be a settable at the project level.  In other words, for existing projects, I would like the option of continuing existing Autocommit behavior.

Created