Improve the document template please (especially styling) - Mendix Forum

Improve the document template please (especially styling)

I know the idea has been put out before and got closed: https://community.mendix.com/link/ideas/11
It got around 67 votes before it was closed due to no space in the Mendix planning for it during 2018, not because it wasn't a much needed or impossible improvement.

so..... Let's put the idea out there for 2019!

(It would be nice if I could tell people that Mendix could generate a neat pdf with a few different colours based on certain values, a nice header etc. but I seriously advise against pdf's or words from Mendix directly right now because you can't do much that you would want to show a customer)

asked
24 answers

It finaly made it to the top. There must be a very good reason still to ignore it.

Created

Yeah, kind of waiting to pronounce this the topic to have the dubious honour of having the most votes

Created

Only a few upvotes left to be the most upvoted idea of all time.

Created

@Mendix architects,

please notice, that this feature is really important for showing customers the power and completeness of Mendix framework.

Created

-1 for Mendix which doesn't work on this feature, unless the sufferings of the masses

Created

Yeah, I had hope they'd react after a month or two. You'd think that seeing the same idea at the top this often would at least invoke a reaction even it were: we'll take a look at it later

Created

It is sad, that there is still no official comment on this topic after almost two months. 

Created

Definitively one of the most requested feature update and currently one of the clunky parts that do not seem to blend in with the rest of the improving functionalities. I hope this is high on the list

Created

Great idea!

Created

OK I did the previous one so I'm definitely backing this attempt too. There really must be a usable document generator in the modeler, without Java libraries and most definitely without additional cost. This is a very basic function which is now working very poorly, to put it mildly.

Created

@Desiree But this is an idea that has a lot of upvotes. And it has already a lot of upvotes for the second time.

Created

I can imagine Mendix has a lot of ideas to sort through @Andreas. But I agree, a little bit of feedback whether it will finally be considered would be great :)

Created

I am very interested in getting some feedback on this from the Mendix Team. It seems to be a very popular idea and has already been a very popular idea a year ago.

I thought it was the idea behind the idea forum to make mendix better based on great and popular ideas from the idea forum.

I fully understand that it can not be implemented immediately, but no reaction at all is a little bit disappointing.

Created

@Armando Jacobus: WordTemplater module from JAM-IT is again another custom widget with extra license costs. 

Created

Oh I'm getting everyone behind this!!!

Created

You can also use the WordTemplater module from JAM-IT to generate docx documents based on Microsoft Word templates with the use of variables, markup and other fun stuff.

https://appstore.home.mendix.com/link/app/106722/JAM-IT/WordTemplater

Created

Good idea

Created

The current document generation in mendix might possibly the most outdated feature mendix has to offer. Its very frustrating to have to explain to clients that it takes a long time just to make very basic PDF, especially when they are used to high speed development that mendix does provide.

Created

Yep this is very limited at the moment and has been for several years, would be nice to see an improvement!

Created

Cool Pim, if you provide that service free of charge, I'll gladly use it in any project!

Created

I feel like add a comment to this every day, just to keep it on top of the Idea List :-)

Created

The document generation in Mendix hasn't seen any updates in the past years and is just not state-of-the-art anymore. 
We need a new and better builtin document generation with easy to use templates, tokens and styles asap. 

To quote the previous idea from Marcel Groeneweg:"It is really hard to explain that I can build an entire application in just a few days and then spend another three days to produce a PDF that fits the styling guidelines!​"

Created

In the meantime you can use our module for creating beautiful documents based on MS Word: https://appstore.home.mendix.com/link/app/2026/Appronto/Document-generation-4-Mendix

short movie here: https://youtu.be/tKb-IubHN6A

Created

I was just about to submit an idea for this, glad its already here!

Created